Image Map

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Product Round Up | 4 Concealing Favourites


Whether we like it or not, the sad truth is that our skin exposes all of our dirty lifestyle secrets. Stayed up later than you should have last night? Hello dark under-eye circles. Indulged a little too much on vino and cheese on Friday? That may explain that irruption of pimples on your chin. But lucky for us that is where concealer comes in. Concealers promise to help camouflage skin imperfections, reawaken the skin and fight signs of fatigue, illunminate under the eyes and pay all your bills on time (if only!) With so many available on the market from pots to tubes and doe foot applicators it may be a bit tricky to figure out which is the best for you and how to make them work hard for their money. I've rounded up my concealing favourites with my tips and tricks on how to make them work.



Where we need it 
While we use foundation to even out skin tone, concealer zeros in on the emergencies and all the things we want to be covered. Our foundation also conceals however, so concealer should go on after foundation. Sometimes after you apply foundation you may realise that you may not need that much concealer after at all. Blemishes and dark under-eye circles are the most common targets that need covering, as well as redness, scars or broken capillaries. Put simply any place that is dark, or in need of camouflage can use concealer.

Choosing Colour 
Yellow based concealers are the best counteract redness as well as blueness or purple of under-eye circles. It is important remember that unlike your foundation your concealer should be a shade lighter than your natural skin tone or your foundation shade. Pink and orange tones should be avoided as these will accentute what you are trying to hide rather than hide it.

What type to buy
Concealers come in a variety of shades and application types. My personal favourite is the doe foot wand applicator. I find it the easiest to apply, especially if you are short on time. I use the below products under my eyes, to correct any mistakes with my eyebrows as well as to mask blemishes and scarring, then blend it out with a damp beauty blender and set with powder to avoid creasing. However, if you are more of a pot, tube or compact concealer kinda girl this post by Into the Gloss reviews the best of the best concealers and goes further to explain what concealer is the best for a certain outcome so definitely take a read of that post. But if wand doe foot applicators are your arsenal, girl I got you.

The Best Doe Foot Concealers: 

The first one up is the much raved about NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. This baby has INCREDIBLE coverage and just like its name suggests is extremely creamy. I'm not too sure about its radiance as I don't really see anything to radiant about it but this is perfect for covering up dark circles - sleepless night, says who? Definitely my favourite concealer out of the four and very much worth the price tag, always a re-purchase for me.

Now if you are after a concealer that is full coverage, waterproof and literally does not budge than the Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer is the one for you. I find this concealer to be lightweight but also really heavy duty but with a very flawless and undetectable finish. I swatched this one while in Mecca before I purchased it and I kid you not it was like liquid lipstick swatch because the sucker did not come off my hand without a make up wipe - even after running it under water. This concealer promises to melt into the skin and visibly blur imperfections.I like this one to hide blemishes and scarring.

I find that the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer is quite similar to the Urban Decay one and the Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer similar to NARS. The Rimmel concealer is a lot more radiant than the NARS one however and I use it more to highlight the skin versus concealing. The Maybelline one is definitely bang for your buck because I find it works in similar fashion to the Urban Decay Naked Skin though slightly more runny and easier to work with AND for a 1/4 of the price.

What are some of your favourite concealers and how do you use them? 

Chantalle x


16 comments:

  1. Great Post, I love the Maybelline fit me concealer. I haven't tried any of the others but I really want to try the UD & Nars one as I always hear so many good things.

    Nicole xx | www.nicolesbeautybabble.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! Definitely give them both a try, or at least NARS it is my HG concealer! x

      Delete
  2. I have to agree with you about the Nars concealer, it's my holy grail concealer but I don't really see anything too radiant about it either, now that I think about it.

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great concealer, very creamy though not so radiant! x

      Delete
  3. I am such a huge fan of the NARS Concealer, it's amazing xx

    Gemma ♡ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually never use concealer, I have had issues in the past with tones and colours so I have just avoided them at all costs. Also secretly I had no idea what I was doing when it came to concealer, now I just apply additional foundation or use my contour and highlight kit to cover up the nasty bits - which is the same right?

    Anyway great post, it's inspiring me to buy concealer!


    Cultivation of Jasmin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never use to either until dark circles and scarring became more of an issue for me! Like I mentioned, it is best to go a lighter shade than your foundation and one that is slightly yellow based, however sometimes foundation is more than enough! Yes and no, highlight more to accentuate and brighten certain area and contour adds shape, dimension and shadowing. But hey, you may be one of the lucky few who don't need concealer at all!! Thanks for reading Jas! x

      Delete
  5. I enjoy using the Bobbi Brown corrector and concealer for under eyes, as well as the Maybelline Age Rewind concealer for brightening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried that Maybelline concealer, personally not a fan of the sponge but I have heard great things about the Bobbi Brown Concealer so I really want to give that one a try! Thanks for reading Hanh! xx

      Delete
  6. That maybelline fit me concealer is wonderful.

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I had to pick my favourite four concealers, I would pick these ones! I love all of these!!! The only one I would add is for heavy duty concealing MAC Pro Longwear is really good. I'm currently all out of my NARS so bye bye money when I have to buy a new one. I am obsessed with UD Naked Skin at the moment! Great post girl! x

    Sarah | Bows & Pleats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For someone that loves MAC I actually haven't tried their concealer. So I'm thinking once I am done with one of these (my NARS is also running low) I will probably try out the MAC one. Thanks Sarah xx

      Delete
  8. Great post! I love the Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer but I think I'll have to try the Urban Decay Naked one next because I think it actually comes light enough for me. I am always so disappointed that I can't use the Maybelline Fit Me though because even the lightest shade is too dark.

    Emma | Rosy Disposition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! I think I have the second lightest shade and it is quite light so definitely go for it, I know the struggle! Oh no, that seriously sucks, I really like the Maybelline one too! #palegirlstruggles

      Delete